There
are so many amazing instructional software programs that we have at our
disposal nowadays! I am a huge fan of making learning fun, and I feel that
these kind of programs are definitely engaging to students. Speaking of great
programs, here are three instructional software programs and two software
support tools for you to investigate.
According to Roblyer and Doering (2013), instructional software programs
aid in instruction delivery (p. 77), and software support tools enhance the use
of software programs (p. 140).
Starfall - http://www.starfall.com/
Drill and practice software
Starfall is a fabulous resource
because it has a lot of basic literacy activities as well as some content area
activities. According to Roblyer and Doering (2013), a drill and practice
software encompasses, “exercises in which students work example items, usually
one at a time, and receive feedback on their correctness” (p. 81). Starfall
includes many example items for the students to work and provides feedback.
National Stock Market
Simulation- http://www.nationalsms.com/
Simulation software
This
program is actually very near-and-dear to my heart because we did a stock
market simulation in my gifted education class in the fourth grade. I remember it being slightly confusing, but
also very fun. This would be an amazing
resource for a gifted class or for an upper elementary classroom. This is a simulation software because Roblyer
and Doering (2013) reference it in the textbook as such when they summarize its
functions by saying that, “student teams learn how the stock market works by
investing money and seeing resulting profits and losses” (p. 92).
Sheppard Software - http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/math.htm
Instructional game software
Sheppard software offers many math
based games. The games are engaging and
provide immediate feedback. This functions
as an instructional game software.
According to Roblyer and Doering’s (2013) definition, instructional
games, “add game-like rules and/or competition to learning activities” (p. 94),
which is exactly what this software does.
I would use this during as a math center in my classroom, as well as an
extension activity.
Software support tool*
If you
are passionate about learning other languages, trying to communicate with
people that do not speak English, or maybe even trying to do that assignment
for this class where you have to translate into another language, this app is
for you. iTranslate is actually an app
that I use regularly on my iPhone. It is
incredibly easy to use! It is the best translation app that I have found so
far. I would use this in my classroom as
support for communicating with English Language Learners and their families.
Software support tool*
This is also an app that I use frequently. You can look up both English and Spanish
words to find the definition. This would
be valuable in a classroom for defining words quickly. You could use this in conjunction with a traditional
dictionary lesson as well.
*Both of these software support tools are beneficial to use
with “the basic three” (Roblyer and Doering, 2013, p. 114).
M1 http://t.co/iuuUJzzzdI. This is an awesome resource for literacy games! #ed447UM
— Rachel D (@RachCB2) September 9, 2013
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteRachel,
ReplyDeleteSheppard software seems like a great resource to use in the classroom! Doering and Roblyer (2013) state, "When students know they will be playing a game, they expect a fun and entertaining activity because of the challenge of the competition and the potential for winning (p.95)." Like you said, I think it would be great to incorporate into math centers, and I think students will enjoy these games! I also like how students are able to send their scores to the teacher after playing the games.
Jennifer
The Starfall website was so cute. http://www.starfall.com/n/level-a/learn-to-read/load.htm?f <-- I actually played the pumpkin game on here and I thought is was good how they had a vocal review of the sound at the beginning and then had you play a game based around a word with that sound. This is another game I could see projecting on the board to play with the whole class.
ReplyDelete