Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Module 6 Reflection

Advantages 
      Earlier this semester, my peers and I were GLOBE certified. The GLOBE program integrates technology into science education. For example, Roblyer and Doering (2013) discuss the use of “data loggers” (p. 319) which record data over a period of time which the students can then use to make observations. In addition, using science software in the classroom is incredibly effective because it teaches children science content while engaging them through a “science game” (Roblyer and Doering, 2013, p. 323). Additionally, in my current 5th grade class, the school has subscribed to BrainPop. BrainPop is a website that has educational videos that are incredibly engaging. Since the school has purchased this subscription, each student has been able to benefit from this use of technology. Therefore, I believe that the use of technology in science instruction can be quite beneficial.

Check out this infographic about educational technology. 

Click here to view an infographic about tablets in education.

Disadvantages 
     I think the disadvantages of using technology in science instruction are similar to using technology in other content areas. In general, the funds to get and maintain technology are not always there. The video that we watched for this module discussed the BYOD (bring your own device) idea, however, I believe that even in 2013, there are still many student who do not have access to technology. However, when entire schools enroll in such programs as the GLOBE program (Roblyer and Doering, 2013, p. 319), the entire student body is able to benefit. Additionally, many students are easily distracted using some technologies such as iPads, where they can play on apps instead of being on task. Overall, I feel that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of technology usage in science education.

Please check out the infographic below about the pros and cons of social media in education.


Pros and Cons of Social Media in Education

Pros and Cons of Social Media in Education

2 comments:

  1. I love the pros and cons flow chart you added. One of the only things I worry about, and as it was discussed by Robyler and Doering (2013), teachers must find a way to give up to date new experiments, explorations, and discoveries to students. The integration of technology into a science classroom would definitely help. http://www.howstuffworks.com/tablets/10-ipad-apps-for-teaching-kids-about-science.htm#page=0 This site list 10 apps for use in a science classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,

    BrainPop is a great resource to use in the classroom! Using this in the classroom is a great way for students to access information about various science topics and teachers to access lessons, resources, apps, and more (Roblyer and Doering, 2013).



    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete